Sunday, September 7, 2008

MAMMOGRAMS AND YOU

Earlier this week, I had an appointment at a Beverly Hills Clinic to receive my annual mammogram.
This will be my 2nd mammogram since turning 40 two years ago. I was not as apprehensive this time around because I knew what to expect. As women we have been instructed by our health care providers to have mammograms after turning 40. There is some question as to whether you should receive this test annually or every other year. What is known is if you have a history of breast cancer in your family then early detection is key.
WHAT IS A MAMMOGRAM?
A mammogram is an xray of the breast used to detect any changes within the breast and also used as early detection of breast cancer.
Most recently actress Christina Applegate was diagnosed with breast cancer (the early stages) and made a decision to have a double masectomy. Her own mother is a breast cancer survivor.
On August 3, 2008, People Magazine reported that Applegate had been diagnosed with breast cancer. This was confirmed by her representative, who said in a statement: "Christina Applegate was diagnosed with an early form of breast cancer. Benefiting from early detection through a doctor ordered MRI, the cancer is not life threatening...Christina is following the recommended treatment of her doctors and will have a full recovery. No further statement will be issued at this time." On August 19, 2008. It was announced that Applegate is cancer free after a double mastectomy, even though cancer was found in only one breast. She has an inherited genetic fault, a BRCA1[14] mutation, which very often causes breast cancer in those with said fault. Her mother, Nancy Priddy, is a breast cancer survivor. Applegate said when she first was diagnosed "I was just shaking and — and then also immediately, I had to go into ... `take-care-of-business-mode'" which included a change to a more healthy diet. Applegate appeared on a television special entitled Stand Up to Cancer designed to raise funds for breast cancer research. The one hour special was broadcast on CBS, NBC, and ABC television networks on September 5.

Although I have no history of breast cancer within my own family, at the age of seventeen I discovered a lump in my left breast. Thankfully, the tumor turned out to be benign and I made the decision to have it removed in a simple outpatient procedure

I cannot stress the importance of monthly self examinations in order to detect any changes you may feel. "Better safe than sorry" is how I like to think. I am not as diligent as I should be but it still is necessary. If you don't know how to conduct a self exam- it's pretty simple. (see image above)

I will admit it is a little uncomfortable but it does not hurt. The technician is always female which provides a safe level of comfort throughout. Your breasts are placed on a tray which then mashes down on the breast to allow the best view for the xray. You are asked to hold your position which is ironic since you're basically being smashed by the jaws of life (smile) so you really can't move anyway. But in less than five minutes, it's all over and I think to myself "Wow! Is that it? That really didn't hurt!"

So ladies- do your boobies a favor- lay down and touch them on a monthly basis......check for any changes.....call your doctor if you do.......and remember EARLY DETECTION IS KEY! Your boobies will thank you for it.

1 comment:

Jermon E. Cooks said...

Last year, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was always afraid of going to the doctor because she always used to state, " all doctors have is bad news to tell." I am glad that you are enlightening women to take charge of their health. Keep informing...