Thursday, April 10, 2008

a little kindess can go a long way

So in the last blog I posted for March, I mentioned that I had recently taken on a part-time job working at trade shows/conventions. Although I work in various capacities, at this last gig I was hired to work as a greeter. In this position I was posted at an entrance and basically I just had to greet attendees, answer general questions & show people where and how to register.
Pretty simple indeed and easy money. Holding the door open for patrons, I greeted each person warmly with a big smile. Most reciprocated the friendly gestures- some completely ignored me by walking past as if they didn't hear me or I wasn't even standing there. Now given the fact that the entrance I was posted at barely had any foot traffic over a period of 3 days, I knew darn well these people heard me say hello and ask if they needed assistance. But taking it personally is what I didn't do... I know some people walk around feeling "entitled" if you will.
But those obvious actions made me reflect on the thousands upon thousands of people who work in service industries. Waiters, waitresses, the guy at the gas station filling your gas tank at the full serve station, the checkout clerk at the grocery store....you get the idea. The people who perform "thankless" jobs without so much as a thank you from customers- knowing that the jobs that they do perform are indeed important.
It's the woman who cleans your bathrooms at work, the bartender who serves your drinks at the club, the waitress who takes your order and serves your food, the grocery clerk who has to carry your groceries out to the car.....jobs I call "thankless" because for most of us- we wouldn't imagine ourselves doing these jobs if we didn't have to....and alot of customers don't thank these people for helping them. Cleaning your toilet is not something I'm sure they don't "want" to do- alot of people take these jobs because they "have" to. And instead of complaining- they deliver service with a smile only to be ignored, not spoken to, disregarded.....
Just imagine if they stopped doing the job that they do....it's happened at my job once when the labor unions went on strike- our trash didn't get picked up for days- our bathrooms were dirty- when our cleaning lady who washed our dishes was fired recently after 11+ years- we had to bust our own dishes....TRUST ME...you realize just how important these people are and what an amazing job they do...cause you wouldn't want to do it for yourself if you didn't have to.
Being an extremely friendly person for me has always come naturally on top of the fact that being kind to people was instilled in me from my family at a young age. So "please & thank you" are words I use quite often- treat 'em like u want 2 be treated. So yes I do know the name of the woman who cleans our nasty ladies room every single day (Victoria), and I do know the name of the woman who has come into our office for the past 11+ years to clean our kitchen, our refrigerator and wash our dishes (Crispina) and the security guard who makes sure that no one is breaking into our office or that my crazy ex-boyfriend isn't in the building stalking me (that's another blog- LOL) her name is Shalon. And I remember their birthdays- (well some of 'em and every year I give them Xmas cards just because it's the LITTLE things that mean the MOST to alot of people)- just to be acknowledged.
I know their names because I care- not because I have to- but because I want to....it's just a part of my DNA and the way I was raised. And it's important 2 me to treat people kindly. When I was a serious party girl on the LA scene about 5 years back- I was a regular at all the Hollywood hot spots. I even threw parties of my own working as a club promoter. Over the span of 3 years, I became really cool with all the door men, the cashiers, the bartenders, the promoters..... the people most patrons think are insignificant.... But because I knew their names and took the time to know about them (again because i WANTED to)- I never waited in line to get into a club- I never paid to get into a club- I ALWAYS had full access behind the VIP black velvet rope no questions asked- the bartender never charged me for drinks (though my girl & I always tipped him)...... because I genuinely showed an interest in them- and just took the time to be nice wanting nothing in return- they showed me major love....which explains the title of the post (a little kindness goes a long way).
Kindness is an important characteristic/quality that I look for in a mate....actually for me it is one of my two all time deal breakers. (being rude & smoking cigarettes will get you no return calls from me ever) I observe how my guy treats others...not just family & friends (people he's familiar with) but people he doesn't know....a random stranger or person serving him.
About 5 years ago, I was dating this guy from Vegas. He was (and still is) an on air DJ personality on one of Vegas' top rated urban contemporary stations. Brother is fine....down to earth..great sense of humor. In the relationship, he was attentive, called when he said he would, wrote letters, sent pictures and cards, treated me special and (here's the clincher) loved his mama & grandma like no other! Well someone so loving could never be so nasty or mean I thought. I thought wrong. On one of my frequent weekend trips to visit him in Vegas- his true colors came shining thru on 2 separate incidents.
The first was at a restaurant he took me to for dinner...a restaurant that he apparently frequented. He let me know in advance upon entering the place that there was a particular waitress that he didn't care too much for.... they had gotten into it in the past behind something minor...but he informed me because she was working that day and she may end up serving us. Well we ended up sitting in someone else's station but had he been rude or slightly off to her- I would've written it off as some past history/beef they had and not thought twice. But we ended up with a different server- and let me tell you how short & mean my guy was to our waiter- for no apparent reason. Just nasty- and I'm thinking- he is serving OUR FOOD. I've worked in the fast food industry as a teen and have spit in many a taco behind a rude customer. Yeah I know... but I was young and I wasnt where I am now spiritually. LOL Remember Miss Celie in Color Purple- "next time I put a lil' Shug Avery piss in his water- see how he like that" ;-)
Later that day- we ride over to the local convention center because he needs to set up for MAGIC (an annual men's apparel convention)- he was dee jaying at one of the booths for the week so he had to set up his equipment. It was pouring down raining that day. I was already taken aback by his behavior at the restaurant but then he took it to a whole new LEBEL (watch MAD TV- you'll get the joke)....in preparation for MAGIC- the Convention Center had certain drop off points that all the designers & folks associated with the convention were to park thier cars and roll in thier goods. Well because he didnt have a cover for his equipment (due to the unexpected weather)- there was no way he was going to pull up hundreds of feet from the entrance in the pouring rain with unprotected electrical equipment. That I understood. So quite naturally, he pulled up curbside and began to quickly unload his equipment instructing me to move the car if necessary. Well immediately this elderly gentleman who had been hired to work as parking security (much like my greeter position at the Mart)- was just doing his job as he approached our car to instruct us to park elsewhere. Now instead of my nutty friend simply explaining that he had electrical equipment that would get damaged if he parked elsewhere- he just went on a rampage on this poor old man- calling him every name in the book- screaming-acting like a wild banshee..... he just continued doing his thing- i hopped in the drivers seat to move the car...but spent most of my time apologizing to this little old man whose nerves were so rattled by my dee jay's rant that he didn't know what to do... i felt like crap for even knowing this dude. Well needless to say....after that I took no more weekend trips to Vegas....he was dismissed just like a cashier stealing from the till.... him had to go! :-) So all that to say..... remember the next time....you see the janitor emptying your trash can....or the little lady cleaning your toilets...stop and say hello. ask her/him how thier day was....cause you never know just how much a LITTLE kindess can go a LONG way! I'M OUT!

No comments: