Thursday, April 10, 2008

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

okay so one of my girlfriends emailed myself & a few co-workers regarding this story (read scenario below) and asked us if placed in this situation...what would we do? below is her original email as is along with our responses and her comments in order. If you were in this situation...what would you do? Z: I guess a man in Cerritos found a bag of unmarked bills totaling $140,000. He turned it in and they gave him a reward of only $2,000 and an interview on the local news. Now, I think that he went about it wrong. I would have turned the money in but not just to the local police department. I would have called a press conference and announced that I had found this money in the road and for the person to come meet me to claim it. Being that its on TV, the person would have to feel obligated to give me more than a measly $2,000. Then, I would milk the fame! I would be sure that my story made it to the Today Show, Good Day LA, Dateline NBC, and the Tonight Show. By the end of it, I wouldn't have made $140,000 but I would be a household name for maybe a day and that would make up for it. Would you have just kept the money since there would have been no way of tracing it to you!?!?! MEGAN: I'd give it back It's the whole "pay it forward" philosophy. He may have "only" gotten $2000, but for him it could be just what he needed to avoid a foreclosure, but food or clothing for his family, pay off a bill or loan that is bogging him down. And the $140,000 could belong to a charity – or could be a medical payment for a family that, out of the goodness of their hearts gave a goodwill reward to the man, and now have to work to raise the $2000 they gave away. It'll pay out tenfold for him in the long run…I firmly believe that…I HAVE to believe that. I don't think that people will go through life without being rewarded in one way or another for the good things they do. And you might not see the rewards right away. And maybe you aren't looking for the right kind of reward. Wow…didn't mean to preach. I'll leave it by saying that good things come to those who wait. Someday, we'll all see that in one way or another. AJA: How would you be so sure that if you announced it on TV that hundreds of people would come forward claiming that money. How would you know who's it really belongs to? I would have turned it in as well. Even if I didn't get anything back.. I'd be ok with that. Z: Perhaps it all comes down to waiting until you are walking down a dark street and see a bag o' money to see what someone would really do…. ME: I mean- you don't know until you're put in that situation. We were just talking about this. But there's no way you could hold onto it. Even if you did a press conference- the police would step in 1. 2 –like Aja said you'd have no way to know who it belonged to. Maybe eventually but not at first cause so many crazies would come out the wood works to claim it. Who's to say the owner would give you more than the $2000 the police gave. Maybe that was all the money they had or needed for something like Megan said. So the owner may say I wish I could give you more but here's a $100- that's $100 you didn't have. 3- Going on TV to announce you found a bag of money is crazy- because you'd be knocked upside the head before you could leave the conference (LOL) or kidnapped so you could take them to the money. Girl people will do some strange things for money or just the thought of it. I watch "Snapped" all the time- spouses killing each other, kids killing their parents- don't think you'll just be walking around like LODDIE DODDIE and not get jumped- LMAO Lastly I wouldn't be walking down some dark alley. And if I did find the bag- I'd be too damn scared to take it- thinking some drug dealer dropped it- left it- is looking for it. Or it could be a police sting…..in my past- hell yeah- I would've took it- not even took time to think about if it belonged to someone who needed it. I just would've spent it up faster than my nail polish could dry. But now my conscious works differently. I'd put myself in the owner's shoes. You don't know why it was in the bag or what it was needed for. And I'd feel like boo boo to hear on the news that someone lost it that needed it knowing I had it- and spent it. Karma has a way of working- I know all too well- and God's Karma is no joke. Cause trust-he will find a way to take something from you that means the world. You take that money today and somewhere down the line- someone close to you passes away, or you get jacked up in an accident- stealing $140,000 is not worth compromising yourself or losing something precious in the end. Besides whatever amount of reward you get- is more than you had to begin with. And you still got your clear conscious. On top of that whatever 5 minutes of recognition you get will fade when the next headlining story hits the news- you can't milk that. You're better off going on a reality show and winning money that way. Now THAT 15 mins of fame you can bank on! LOL

1 comment:

Iroquois said...

I was in a shopping mall on line for the ATM Machine when I noticed a woman with dark sunglasses in front of me. She inserted her bank card, pressed numbers, pulled a receipt and left with a friend. Only after she was gone, money came out of the machine and printed another receipt. I grabbed it and raced after her. I caught up with her and discovered she was blind and was using the money to buy a gift. I felt grateful just to do a good deed.

Story from Towanna Miller - Mohawk Artist.