Saturday, April 19, 2008

Live Life Fearless -GIVING THANKS

LIVE YOUR LIFE FEARLESS- Giving Thanks Today's blog is a little different than the usual. Normally I blog about random topics in order to spark some dialogue amongst the masses. But today I want to give thanks.....thanks to the Lord for waking me up today and thanks to my friends for being there for me. Most mornings when I wake up I do thank God for waking me up- but too often we take the simple things for granted. Simple things like waking up in the morning. We take for granted that when we lay down to sleep at night- we'll be waking up tomorrow and that's not always so. So when we thank God for another day- don't just say it.....mean it! Mean it by appreciating all the simple things in life....appreciating those in your life.....and by making each moment in your life matter cause you can't get it back. This awareness came after a frightening experience this past Thursday night. I was at a company sponsored event with some co-workers. Towards the end of the night, I happened to notice that my very flat, comfy shoes were feeling a little snug. (just my right foot) As I looked down I noticed my right foot swollen...I slipped off my shoe to find my entire right foot swollen as if I had eaten a box of salt. I elevated it for the remainder of the night. About an hour and a half later, I began to notice a tingling sensation in my right hand but brushed it off. As we began to leave the event I realized that the tingling was nothing to ignore. I took my jacket off to notice that now my right hand was now swollen. My co-workers looked at me and guessed that I had an allergic reaction to something I may have eaten that night although I have no known food allergies. They suggested I go to the emergency room. At this point I had no reason to worry- I wrote it off as they suggested ( an allergic reaction). About five minutes into the drive to the hospital the tingling sensation began to slowly creep up the entire right side of my body......pins and needles, numbness, everything was cold...... Right then I knew something was not right. I looked over at my co-worker and told her to find the closest hospital instead of the one we were headed to because the sensation was rapidly increasing and I knew that whatever was happening to me was not going to wait for me to get to the hospital of my choice. The sensation was now creeping up my shoulder and rested at the base of my neck......I felt it in the back of my head and the right side of my face. I began to panic - in this moment I felt like I might die because I had no idea what was taking over my body. I began to cry and talk to God. As much as I talk about living life fearless (not being afraid of pursuing your dreams or trying new things)- in this moment I was afraid. Afraid of the unknown.....I began to reflect on anything that I might have done that was not pleasing to God and asking forgiveness for my sins. I began to think of the book that's not written yet.....all of these great ideas (my website, talk show, etc) that I had yet to make happen.........and I cried. We pulled up curbside to the emergency room at the Santa Monica UCLA medical center. The security guard let us know that we were in the wrong section of the hospital but as he took a look at my crying face, he rushed over with a wheel chair for me instructing me to breathe slowly and deeply because I was going into shock. He kept repeating to me "You are in control. You are in control." I began to speak "God is in control". During the admissions process, my body began to shake uncontrollably. My best friend held my hand and continued to tell me that I could control this. Mind over matter. I dug deep to will my body still...it helped. As I was placed in a temporary room- the nurse began to cover my body in a multitude of warm blankets and after ten minutes the entire swelling on the right side of my body subsided. The tingling sensation dissipated- just like that as if it never happened. Shortly thereafter (about 15 mins)- it returned in my hand only. After being given fluids, having blood drawn, an ekg and cat scan given the doctor found nothing unusual other than my blood pressure being extremely high (borderline hypertension stage)- but that could be written off to the shock I was in. He instructed me to follow up with my doctor the next day, suggested getting an MRI done on my brain and follow up with a neurologist. My co-workers (Megan, Marie, Monet & Amy) stayed with me throughout the process and I am grateful because I know we were all tired & had to get up for work in a few hours. I went home with my best friend in tow to keep an eye on me should anything happen. We finally laid down at 4 am only to get right back up at 7. Whatever sensation I had a few hours ago was completely gone. I got in contact with my doctor who was completely booked but he did take the time to talk to me. Off the top of his head- he was completely baffled but suggest I keep a journal of all the foods I've eaten this past week as well as log down any symptoms I had & continue to have. Yesterday the tingling sensation returned in my right hand, forearm and base of my neck. I've been having minor spasms in the back of my neck (tightness in my neck and a little light headeness).....I can't self diagnose but have been writing down all the possibilities to give my doctor the chance to examine every angle. My girlfriend's dad is a doctor and said he believes I may have had a minor stroke, a co-worker suggested shingles....all of the symptoms are similar however I am not claiming anything that DOES NOT belong to this body. So for now I'm going to keep a journal of my symptoms to take with me to my doctors visit. I chose to share this info with you guys for a few reasons. 1- to let you know I appreciate each and every one of you. My family, my friends, ....your comments, your encouragement and support- it all means so much to me. 2- to ask for your prayers for healing over my body. I have faith in God and am a believer that he is a healer. But I also know that prayer is powerful and there is power in numbers. If there are any prayer requests that you may have....leave me a message. Let's pray for one another. 3- some of you may have (or know someone who has) experienced these symptoms...maybe you can shed some light for me as I am no doctor but I want to be armed with as much knowledge as I can when I do see my doctor. Lastly- this eye opening experience just makes me appreciate waking up in the morning. Though they are words that I "say"- these are now words that I "mean". I promise to keep you updated on my situation. I love u all! So remember begin to live your life fearless! Don't stay in fear- don't be afraid of trying or doing something new....whatever that is.....a new dish, traveling......writing that book you've always talked about, going outside of the norm, not being held back- life life full.......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling today??

Unknown said...

First of all I would like to ask why didn't you tell me about this? My prayers go out to you and if you need anything I'm there. Love you as well, you are a great friend and you hold on because your still having my babies. Take care and God Bless.

Your Future Babies Daddy
Rj